It’s not often that one of the world’s most admired spiritual leaders who describes himself as an advocate for warm-heartedness, compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, and self-discipline finds himself in the midst of a PR crisis.
A video filmed in February 2023 of the Dalai Lama asking a young boy to ‘suck’ his tongue went viral in April. Although some people have argued that there has been a cultural misunderstanding, the overwhelming majority of responses have been vehemently critical. In this episode, you will hear a line-by-line dissection of the very problematic public apology that the Dalai Lama made in the wake of the negative responses to the video.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The video that led the Dalai Lama to receive a lot of negative attention in the media.
- Who the Dalai Lama is and the values that he advocates for.
- Controversial statements that the Dalai Lama has made in the past.
- The argument in defense of the Dalai Lama’s actions in the video.
- The overwhelming response that the video received.
- How the Dalai Lama publicly responded to the outcry about the video.
- Problems with the Dalai Lama’s public apology.
- Unpacking the DARVO strategy.
- Tactics that should always be avoided in public responses.
- Advice on what to do if you are involved in an incident that goes viral.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Follow Molly McPherson:
- Listen and Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Indestructible: Reclaim Control and Respond with Confidence in a Media Crisis
- Indestructible: Reclaim Control and Respond with Confidence in a Media Crisis – Audio Book
© 2023 Indestructible PR Podcast