The rise of social media influencers means it is easier than ever to form parasocial relationships with celebrities or online influencers. Although parasocial relationships are one-sided and don’t involve any contact in the real world, the death of someone whose life you have been closely following online can cause a visceral reaction.
In the case of Dave Hollis, his sudden death at the age of 47 sent a subreddit community of over 13000 people into an emotional freefall. In this conversation with Emily Rose, digital creator and host of the It’s Become A Whole Thing podcast, you’ll hear about the dynamics of parasocial relationships, how celebrities leverage these types of relationships, and the coping mechanisms that people employ when the other side of a one-way relationship experiences a life event.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The event that shook a 13000 person strong subreddit community this week.
- How the Hollis’s became the mega influencers that they were.
- The abrupt emotional shift that often accompanies a person’s death.
- The definition of a parasocial relationship.
- The spectrum of celebrity-focused communities that can be found online.
- Emily’s thoughts on the worst thing that can happen to a celebrity.
- Examples of how celebrities leverage parasocial relationships to their advantage.
- The power of online communities.
- Speculations that are being made about Dave’s death and Emily’s thoughts on how the world might find out the truth.
- Aspects of the Hollis’s that make them so relatable.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Follow Molly McPherson:
- Listen and Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Indestructible: Reclaim Control and Respond with Confidence in a Media Crisis
- Indestructible: Reclaim Control and Respond with Confidence in a Media Crisis – Audio Book
© 2023 Indestructible PR Podcast