After body cam footage emerged showing Mary O’Connor, the Police Chief of Tampa, Florida, trying to get out of a traffic violation by showing her badge and the internal affairs investigation that followed, she was ultimately forced to resign.
This episode takes a look at this incident to see what can be learned from a PR perspective, and breaks down three easy choices in ethical leadership that can save your reputation. Hear the entire body cam clip and learn what guilt sounds like, how guilty people behave, and how this sheds light on unethical leadership. Also covered is the statement that was released when the truth came out and how Mary tried to protect the lie instead of taking responsibility for her actions. Hear more about what it means to be an ethical leader in any organization and how to build an indestructible reputation.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The traffic stop incident that resulted in Mary O’Connor’s resignation as Police Chief of Tampa, Florida.
- What guilt sounds like and how this relates to a media interview.
- How this sheds light on unethical leadership.
- Assessing the ethical ramifications of her actions
- A sense of relief, and insight into how guilty people behave.
- The statement that was released when the truth came out and how she tried to protect the lie.
- How the first statement tells you the intent of the person.
- A previous incident and speculation that she may be driving under the influence of alcohol.
- What it means to be an ethical leader and how this relates to an organization’s core values.
- The Indestructible PR® tip for the day about taking responsibility.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
YouTube: “#Tampa #Police Chief Resigns After Flashing Badge To Get Out Of Golf Cart Stop”
Official statement: “Incident involving chief of police”
“Tampa police Chief Mary O’Connor resigns amid traffic stop controversy”
Indestructible: Reclaim Control and Respond with Confidence in a Media Crisis
Indestructible: Reclaim Control and Respond with Confidence in a Media Crisis – Audio Book Listen and Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Molly McPherson on Patreon
© 2022 Indestructible PR® Podcast
Wanting a little more than what you see on TikTok? Join me on Patreon for extended content, exclusive podcast episodes, and regular Crowdcast chats. If you’re an aspiring PR pro or already working in the field, you can access professional monthly webinars, discounts on 1:1 sessions, and upcoming programs. Join me on Patreon!
Follow Molly McPherson on social media:
© 2022 Indestructible PR Podcast