This episode of the Indestructible PR Podcast looks at the public relations crisis created by Joy Gendusa, CEO of PostcardMania in Clearwater, Florida, when she claims she underestimated the severity of Hurricane Ian and insisted her staff continue to work through the storm.
This podcast unpacks exactly what was communicated in that Zoom meeting when Gendusa addressed her staff before the arrival of Hurricane Ian and the media crisis that resulted, before it delves into Gendusa’s response.
We cover why issuing a press release was wise, but also dissecting the not-so-wise moves in a corresponding YouTube video. Listen in to learn how to respond to a natural disaster, and not create one with your staff.
Key Points From This Episode:
- How having a healthy amount of ego comes with the territory when it comes to being a CEO
- What Joy Gendusa said in the Zoom call when she addressed her staff before the hurricane.
- The difference between hype and legitimate danger.
- Three reasons why this situation made headlines.
- Why issuing a press release was a good move.
- Mixed feelings about the setting of Gendusa’s video and why it should have been shot at the office.
- What the hard edits in the video tell us about the subtext.
- Questions related to the truth of some statements she made in the video.
- The takeaway from this response is about the importance of owning up to your mistakes.
- The Indestructible PR Tip
© 2022 Indestructible PR Podcast